Thursday, July 17, 2008

School holiday fun at the Eden cannery wharf


Nine years ago the Eden cannery was closed, and 1 in 8 Eden workers lost their jobs.

Today, the cannery sits abandoned and the cannery wharf is quietly rotting away. Rumour has it that the site has been purchased by a developer who will build a tourist resort on the location.

In the meantime and despite the chain wire fences, the wharf provides a wonderful place to have fun on the school holidays.

The clear deep water is hard to resist, even in this cold weather.



You can catch fish...



and watch an eagle soar overhead.




















You might even be lucky enough to spot this immense stingray. Can you see him? He's about 2 metres across, and likes to circle around under the wharf.






It's not a bad way to spend a day!


5 comments:

learning the ropes said...

Looks beautiful. I have always wanted to travel to Australia. Maybe someday when I retire.

CarolW44 said...

Well, I hope you come to Eden when you do! Look me up and I'll buy you a coffee...

Magdalen Islands said...

It is beautiful. The water looks so inviting.

Unknown said...

Eden is a wonderful place and i will most definately be visiting again soon. Might take you up on that offer for a nice coffee!

Unknown said...

I would love to visit Eden. It sounds very peaceful. A great place to take the kids on their school break. CarolW44, I would love to take you up on that offer for coffee. I will be in Eden from 6 of March - 24th June. From Lonelygirl101